Squid stuffed with flavoured glutinous rice and simmered in sweet coconut milk...what a weird combination right? I was rather curious how this dish will turn out! While the gravy was simmering in the pot, the lovely gula melaka and coconut flavour started to fills up the whole the kitchen, at least the flavours did not fail me at this moment hehehe....As the recipe did not mention how long to cook the stuffed squid, only stated to reduce the gravy to 2/3, therefore I just cook it for about 25mins to ensure the glutinous rice is well cooked through. At the same time I know that by prolong cooking, it will cause the squid to turn tough. Anyway I just went ahead simmering the pot of glossy brown gravy.
After the dish is done, I could not wait to slice it up to and taste it! Gula melaka with coconut milk just makes this dish taste right! Yes the squid is tough but chewable and the glutinous rice is well cooked and I like the caramel taste! Are you adventurous to try this dish out? ^.*
- 300gm fresh squids
- 1/2 cup glutinous rice, soak for 4 hours
- 1/2 cup thick coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp finely chopped lemongrass
- 1 tsp finely chopped shallot
- 2 cups coconut milk (1 cup thick coconut milk + 1 cup water)
- 90gm gula melaka, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 slice ginger
- 1 pandan leaf, cut
- Preparing the squids : remove the tentacles, discard innards and membranes. Rinse and wash the inside of the squid thoroughly. Pat dry and set aside.
- In a medium non-stick pan, add lemongrass and shallot and stir fry until fragrant. Add in glutinous rice and 1/2 cup thick coconut milk. Stir fry until the mixture is dry. Remove from heat.
- Stuff the rice mixture into the squid evenly till 3/4 full. Secure the ends crosswise with toothpicks to prevent the stuffing from oozing out when the squid are cooked.
- In a medium pot, place in the stuffed squid and pandan leaf. Add in sugar, ginger, salt and coconut milk. Bring it to a gentle boil over medium heat.
- Reduce to low heat and simmer until the sauce reduced to 2/3 for about 25-30mins. Remove the squid from the gravy. Cool down slightly and sliced to serve with the gravy if desired.