Kolache is a sweet bun made from yeasted dough with a fruit or poppy seed filling, originated from Czech and Slovak. I always been wanting to make a braided bread. When I saw this beautiful candy cane shape bread from Barbara Bakes, I could not wait to start baking one! I used my favourite bread recipe from Alex Goh and drizzle it with lemon icing and dulce de leche!! yumz!!
Sweet Bread Dough
Recipe adapted from Alex Goh 'Baking Code'
Ingredient (makes 2 Candy Cane Loaves)
- 280gm bread flour
- 40gm sugar
- 3gm salt
- 10gm milk powder
- 5gm instant yeast
- 75gm overnight sponge dough **
- 30gm beaten egg
- 130gm water
- 35gm butter
**Sponge Dough : 50gm bread flour, 30gm water, 1/4 tsp instant yeast , knead together and proof for 30mins and cling wrap, chill in fridge overnight or up to 48hours.
Method (hand knead)
- Mix bread flour, sugar, salt, milk powder & yeast together. Tear sponge dough into pieces and combine with the flour mixture.
- Add in egg and water and knead to form a dough.
- Add in butter and knead the dough till smooth and elastic, about 15mins. Cover and proof for 1 hour until double in bulk.
- Punch down dough and knead lightly, divide dough into 2 equal portions, approx 300gm each. Shape into round and rest for 10mins.
- Roll out the dough into a large rectangular shape. Cut out parallel line on both sides of long ends. Place cinnamon apple filling onto the centre of the rectangular. Encase by overlapping the cuts ends alternatively. Bend at one end to form a candy cane shape. Proof for another 45 mins. Glaze with beaten eggs.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 35 mins until golden brown.
- Cool completely on wire rack. Drizzle with lemon icing (50gm icing sugar + 2 tsp lemon juice) & dulce de leche.
Recipe source : Barbara Bakes
- 3 granny smiths, peeled & cubed
- 80gm sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 lemon juice
- 50gm unsalted butter
- Toss diced apples with sugar, cinnamon powder, vanilla and lemon juice until well combined.
- Melt butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat for 2 mins.
- Add in apple mixture and mix well.
- Cover pan and cook for 5 mins* until mixture is caramelized.
- Cool completely before use.
* Note : I used Happy Call Pan to cook the apple filling, therefore it cooks faster! Other saucepan may take slightly longer time for the apple to soften and caramelize.
I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #26 – Creative Christmas Motif Bakes! hosted by Alan of Travellingfoodies