Are you ready for 2012 Christmas?? The last time I've decorated a christmas theme cupcake was way back in 2008 >.< So I've decided to make some cupcakes again and do some decorations with my son! I've chosen the same recipe which I've did in 2008 :D If you googled on web, you will find tons of christmas theme decoration!! I've selected 2 very cute & simple ways of creating a christmas theme cupcakes....Santa Claus and Christmas Tree!
Ho Ho Ho! Cute little Santa Claus make with fresh strawberries! Sliced off the tip and sandwich with whipped cream and attached 2 black sesame seeds as eyes! Piped 2 little buttons on the body to complete the look...
Christmas Tree Cupcakes..
This one is decorated by my son!! As he handled the piping bag too long, the cream starting to melt :P ...more pictures below :D
hehehe this one looks better...done by Mummy ^.^
Surprise!! A whole fresh strawberry embedded!
Recipe adapted from '一学就会做蛋糕'
- 2 eggs
- 80 gm caster sugar
- 5 gm cornflour
- 50 gm cake flour
- 15 gm cocoa powder
- 1gm baking soda
- 15 gm corn oil
- 20 gm fresh milk
- 100gm Frosty Whip Powder**
- Mix cake flour, cornflour, cocoa powder and baking soda in a mixing bowl, set aside.
- With an electric mixer, whisk eggs and sugar on high speed for 8-10 mins until the batter thick and creamy and double in volume. A thick ribbon trail will be left when the beaters are lifted from the batter. Turn to low speed and whisk for another 2 mins to stabilise the air bubbles in the batter.
- Fold in sifted flour into the batter gently in 4-5 batches until well blended. (i find using a handwhisk instead of spatula to do folding ensures the flour is evenly mixed)
- With a spatula, mix about 1/3 of the batter with the corn oil in a separate bowl. Fold in this mixture into the remaining batter. This method will help to ensure the oil will be fully blended and at the same time will not deflate the batter.
- Add in fresh milk and fold in gently.
- Scoop batter into cupcake cases and bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 15 mins. (temp varies depends on size of cupcake cases used and individual oven). Cool completely before frosting.
- Alternative, pour the batter into a 8 inch greased and lined cake pan and bake 40-50 mins, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Rest for 5 mins, unmould and invert cake on rack to cool completely.
** Combine frosty whip powder with 60gm cold water, stir lightly to mix. Using a electric whisk, beat mixture till creamy & fluffy. Divide mixture into half, leaving one portion plain. Add 2 tsp pandan paste to the other portion to obtain a green coloured cream.
getting ready for decoration!
Mummy at work!...
Dear Son at work!...
Decorating Santa Claus :D Mei Mei kapo-ing at the background >.<
Done and ready to eat!!