Friday, October 19, 2012

Strawberry Cake with Italian Meringue Buttercream

I'm pretty excited today as I've finally accomplished one of my to-do list which is the Italian Meringue Buttercream!! I've actually attended a workshop last year which involved demonstration of making the meringue. So this is the first hands on for me and I'm glad that it turns out well. No hiccups in between whatsoever!!

Prior with the making of the buttercream, I've test bake a strawberry cake which uses strawberry flavour jello!!  I was curious how will the cake turns out!? 'Cos of the high content of sugar in the cake, the crust is quite brown compare to normal sponge cake, but overall the crumbs is very moist and not over coyly. I seldom frost a whole cake except on occasion for my kids' birthday, so pardon my ugly frosted cake ^.^





so light & fluffy!! As I got this Italian Meringue Buttercream from a workshop, so due to copyright issue is not convenient for me to post the recipe here. But I've found a link quite similar to the one I'm using, and is very detailed with steps by steps instruction!! click here on How to make Italian Meringue Buttercream




unfrosted Strawberry Cake



crumb coating the cake : a thin layer of buttercream to seal the crumbs before frosting the whole cake.



using wilton nozzle #18 for piping around the edge



think am too generous with the layer buttercream hehehe..



Strawberry Cake
Ingredient
  • 120gm sugar
  • 45gm strawberry gelatin
  • 125gm butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 170gm cake flour
  • 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 125ml milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla paste
  • 1/4 cup fresh strawberry puree

Method

  1. Cream butter, sugar & strawberry gelatin until light & fluffy.
  2. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. 
  3. Mix vanilla and milk together.
  4. Sift in flour and baking powder over creamed butter, alternating with milk until just combined.
  5. Fold in strawberry puree.
  6. Pour batter in a lined 6" cake pan and bake over preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 40 mins for until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10mins before unmoulding and cool completely on wire rack.


What to do with the extra crumbs after trimming the cake? wrap up and freeze! maybe can make some cake pops with it! :D



 Balanced IMB I've also wrapped it up and freeze for next use :D



2 comments:

lena said...

in singapore got flavoured gelatine?

Peng said...

Lena..have those use to make jelly :) there are pineapple , orange, raspberry flavour :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails