Chicken and rice porridge / 닭죽 / Dakjuk
Mung bean sprout side dish / 숙주나물 / Sukjunamul
Eversince I discovered Maangchi cooking web page, I'm hooked with Korean food again! I only patronize an authentic Korean restaurant located at Upper Bukit Timah once, other than that I only get to savour Korean food in food court which does not taste that fantastic to me. So far the recipes I've tested from Maangchi tasted good and are simple to prepare as her instruction on the preparation is very detailed. But for this chicken rice porridge, I find the consistency is too thick and the salt indicated is too salty for my liking, therefore I adjusted the water and salt ratio. Overall this porridge is smooth and awesome and deeply infused with garlic flavours!
Chicken Rice Porridge
- 1 whole chicken, cleaned and trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups garlic cloves, skinned
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 2 eggs
- 3 stalk green onions, chopped
- salt to taste (I used abt 1 1/2 tsp)
- Wash rice and soak for 1 hour.
- Place chicken and garlic in a large pot filled with 18 cups of water. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 30mins, covered.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for another 20mins.
- Add soaked rice and cook for another 15-20 mins until rice is soften.
- Carefully remove chicken from the pot, add salt to taste. Add in beaten egg and cook for 1 min without stirring it. Stir in spring onion and turn off heat.
- Shred chicken into pieces and serve with rice porridge. Drizzle with some sesame oil.
Mung Bean Sprout Side DishIngredient
- 250gm mung bean sprout
- 1 small japanese cucumber
- 1 stalk spring onion, chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- salt to taste
- Rinse bean sprout several times and remove wilted ones. Bring a pot of water to boil. Add in sprout and cook for 1 min. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Shred cucumber coarsely and sprinkle with 1 tsp salt. Set aside for 15mins. Squeeze away excess liquid and place in a clean mixing bowl.
- Squeeze excess liquid from the sprout and add into the shredded cucumber.
- Add in garlic, sesame oil, sesame seeds and salt. Gently toss by using bare hands.
- Best served chill.