Recently my boy's favourite vegetable is bean sprouts! There are 2 types of sprouts available in the market, green been sprout and soybean sprout. One of Korean infamous soup is the soybean sprout soup. Unlike the green been sprout, the soybean sprout has a huge yellow bean attached to it's root and therefore has more bites :D I like this simple refreshing soup which only flavored with some dried kelp , ikan bilis and a little salt. I took 2 huge bowl of this soup and did not intake any rice, hehehe good for maintaining my ideal weight >.<
Soybean Sprout Soup (kongnamulguk) 콩나물국
Recipe source : Maangchi
Modified by Peng's Kitchen
- 250gm soybean sprouts
- 1/4 cup dried kelp 海带芽
- 1/4 cup dried ikan bilis
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 stalk spring onion, chopped
- toasted sesame seeds
- sesame oil
- Rinse the soybean sprouts a few times. Pick out any rotten sprouts. Drain well.
- Rinse dried kelp and ikan bilis and soak for 15mins. Drain away water.
- Put sprouts, kelp and ikan bilis and 4 cups water in a pot.
- Add in salt, garlic and onions.
- Close lid and bring to boil over medium heat for 15mins.
- Open lid and stir it with a spoon. Lower heat and simmer for another 25mins.
- Stir in spring onions and sesame oil.
- Turn off heat and serve soup in a bowl and sprinkle some sesame seeds over.