Kek Lumut?? What is this? Lumut means 'Algae', does my cake looks like a piece of algae to you? ^.^ It is a popular cake in Sarawak. A very sweet and moist cake. There are quite a few variations for this steamed green cake, I chosen this particular recipe which the author given the best review :) The cake itself is very fragrant, despite cutting down the butter and sugar, it is still very very sweet and oily >.< But I like the moist texture, nestum and green tea flavour of the cake, even my girl took 2 mouthful, now waiting for my boy to test out :)
Recipe adapted (with slight modifications) from HomeKreation
Sarawak Steamed Green Cake
Ingredient (6" square)
- 100gm butter
- 100gm sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugee flour
- 3/4 cup Nestum
- 1/3 cup Condense Milk
- 1/3 cup Green Tea (1/3 cup water + 1 tsp green tea powder)
- 1/2 tsp pandan paste
- Cream butter and sugar light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time until well combined.
- Fold in sugee flour and nestum.
- Stir in milk, green tea liquid and pandan paste till smooth batter formed.
- Pour batter into a lined 6" pan and steam over preheated steamer for 2 hours.
- Cool completely before slicing and serve.