I did this batch of bread few days ago just to clear the balance cream cheese after baking the Japanese Cheesecake :) This is my boy's favourite! Whenever he wants bread, he will definitely request for the cream cheese bun! :) I started preparing and kneading the bread at 8pm. By the time the buns were ready to send into oven at 10.30pm, my kids were already in their lalaland :)
What can be worst to see a tray of bread bursting and fillings all over the baking sheet?! Luckily mine did not encounter such disastrous :) I was making sure that the fillings did not smear at the edge and then pinched it tight to seal it. Chilling the fillings before hand does help to firm it up for shaping :)
After the buns were baked, I could not wait to savour one when it has cooled down! Ahhhhh freshly baked buns at 11pm + hahahaha.....Do not ask me how is it comparable to the infamous Barcook Cranberry Cheese Bread as I yet to taste theirs! But mine is as good as those neighbourhood bread shop, if not better!! Dear son even mistaken I bought them. When I told him I baked one he was so impressed!! '妈妈你好厉害!!' Lol
The round bun is filled with cheese, the oval shaped bun is filled with custard.
Recipe modified from Scrumptious Flavours
- 250gm bread flour
- 50gm sugar
- 7gm instant yeast
- 30gm beaten egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 130ml milk (I did not add all)
- 10gm shortening
- 10gm butter
- dried cranberries
Fillings (beat till smooth & creamy, chill before use) : 125gm cream cheese, 40gm icing sugar, 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Combine flour, sugar, yeast and salt, mix well.
- Add in egg and milk (left abt 2 tbsp), knead till a rough dough form. Gradually add in more milk if dough is too dry.
- Knead in shortening & butter until a smooth and elastic dough is formed, about 8-10mins.
- Cover and proof for 60mins until double in bulk.
- Punch down dough to release air and knead lightly. Divide dough into 8 portions* 60gm each and shape into rounds, rest for 10mins, covered.
- Roll out each dough and wrap with 20gm cheese fillings* and some cranberries and seal the edge tightly. Flatten slightly and place some cranberries on top. Cover and proof for another 60mins until double in size. Place a piece of baking paper over the dough follow by a baking tray, this is to ensure the buns remain flatten while baking.
- Preheat oven to 200 deg cel. Lower heat to 180 deg cel and bake for 20mins until golden brown. Cool on rack completely before storing.
Note : I divided the dough into 60gm each and wrap with 30gm cream cheese fillings each, yield 6 buns. Remaining 3 doughs I wrapped it with 1 tbsp custard each.
Recipe adapted from Carol's Blog
a) 200gm milk, 20gm sugar
b) 1 egg yolk, 20gm sugar
c) 50gm fresh milk, 10gm corn flour, 15gm cake flour
d) 10gm unsalted butter, 1 tbsp rum
- Combine (a) and bring to boil.
- Combine (b) and mix well.
- Combine (c) until batter is free of lumps.
- Combine flour batter into the yolk mixture and mix well.
- Add in boiled hot milk (a) and whisk in, beating at the same time.
- Strain mixture and cook the mixture over low heat, whisking continuously until mixture is thick.
- Remove from heat and cool down slightly. Stir in butter and rum evenly.
- Transfer custard into an air-tight container and lay a plastic wrap over the surface to prevent a layer of skin from forming. Cool down and chill till use.
Savouring a custard bread for breakfast! Forever my #1 satisfied customer ^o*